Wednesday 23 December 2009

Salmon 'Wellington' and Cook Cucumbers

Finally, after a week and a half I’m germ free!

I got tired of baking salmon, so inspired by Beef Wellington I made Salmon Wellington ... well it’s just salmon wrapped in puff pastry and baked in the oven. The salmon was seasoned and sprinkled with my home dried dill. Then wrapped in puff pastry and baked until the pastry was golden. I was nervous putting the little fillet of salmon in a 30mins oven. I expected it to turn out really dry and it wasn’t! It was a little over but not dry at all.

To accompany the salmon, I made cooked cucumber and fennel in butter sauce. Yes, that’s right – cooked cucumber. I’m not sure where I got the idea from .... I must have seen this done on tv, maybe the Cook and the Chef?

I heated 2tbsp of butter in a small pot on medium heat – don’t use oil because the temperature will get too hot and will fry. Once melted, I added capers, then the fennel and cook for around 1 min. Add the cucumbers and cook for another 2mins, stirring to coat the cucumbers in butter. Add some pepper and dill and you’re done. To my surprise (two discoveries in one day!) it was really nice. It’s a great accompaniment to fish dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment