Tuesday 18 August 2009

Broccolini Soup

Another post related to my recent trip to the markets. I wanted to buy broccolini to make a Moroccan broccolini, raisin and pine nut side dish. So I asked the lady if she had any broccolini because I couldn't see any to which she replied "Yes, I think its over the other side (of the stall, it was a big stall).". She comes back with a massive bunch the size of a small dog (ok, cat). What could I do but take it?

So I had 1kg of broccolini, how much can broccolini can two people eat?

It came to me in a flash. Broccolini = sister/brother/cousin of the Broccoli and if there's broccoli soup it means there will have to be broccolini soup! Its a low fat soup and you get all the green you want in one day (believe me, you would not want anymore green after this).

Broccolini Soup

Ingredients
Several bunches of Broccolini, diced the same size
1 onion, diced
1 cup Chicken/Veg stock
2 cups milk
Salt
Pepper
Chili (optional)
Blender/food processor

Method
1. Saute the onions in a little oil until transparent. Add in broccolini and cook until soft (approx. 15mins).
2. Add 1 cup of stock and 1 cup of water. Cook for another 10mins.
3. Blend until smooth (or as smooth as possible). Return to the pot and bring to the boil. Turn heat to low and add milk. Once boiling again, add chili if using and season to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment