Sunday 25 October 2009

Sunday Lunch (Oct 09)


L-R: Haloumi, Baked Tassie Salmon, Spring Salad of Asparagus, Broad beans, Butter beans & Jamon.

I'm always anxious when I cook salmon, you don't want to under cook (unintentional half cooked fish is not nice) nor do you want to over cook (dry). Not to boast or anything but today I cooked the most perfect salmon. Low oven (160c), for the portions above (3 med size fillets, halved length ways) around 13-15mins, take it out to rest for 5mins. No oil required because salmon is already an oily fish, I always find it too oily for my tastes if I add oil unless I'm pan frying. Seasoned, lemon zest, dill and a squeeze of lemon juice. Some capers to finish the dish would be nice too.



Haloumi is one of my favourite cheese. It's not exactly 'low fat' because you need oil to pay fry it. Pour enough oil to cover the pan then fry on med heat - it should only take a few minutes. I added dried rosemary to serve. Next time I will add a squeeze of lemon juice and smoked paprika.



It's Spring over is Oz, so I blanched some spring veg, sprinkle with salt and balsamic, bit of lemon zest and top it with jamon.


You might recall my excitement for Elderflower. I've finally made the Elderflower syrup I do desired. There were a few recipes on the net but I made up my own. I think it worked fine and the best of all it was pretty simple. Make equal parts water and sugar for the sugar syrup then add lemon rind and juice to taste. Turn the heat off when it comes to a simmer and the sugar has melted, when the liquid has cooled, add Elderflowers, cover and refrigerate for 48hrs.


I added the Elderflower syrup to my manuka honey pannacotta. I'm calling it pannacotta because it was intended to be pannacotta but I added a leaf too much of gelatin, oops! It was still good right?


Manuka honey pannacotta with blueberries and elderflower syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment