Sunday 26 July 2009

Chocolate Raspberry Hazelnut Cake

Sometimes when I make things up the photos and the story don't always end up here, mainly because it turns out slightly weird and I wouldn't recommend the recipe to anyone. It is to my delight this time, its actually really really good.

I took the base recipe for a plain sponge cake, halved that (it was for two sponge cakes) and added a few extras. I had it in my mind I wanted to make a chocolate raspberry and hazelnut cake. As I started to pour the mixture into the tin, I realised it was abit gluggy so in order to make it moist I added about half a cup of milk.


The baking time for the original sponge cake took only 20mins at 180c. From experience I knew the baking time for my cake will take longer because I've added a liquid ingredient and additional ingredients but after 30mins my cake was still runny in the middle. So I turned down the heat, to prevent burning on the sides, and baked it for 50mins (checking every 15-10mins).

Since the mixture was so gluggy to begin with (almost like brownie mixture), I thought the result would be like a brownie but no! It was so soft and airy (must have been the milk!). Needless to say, am very chuffed with the result. The best cake I've ever made up...


Chocolate Raspberry and Hazelnut Cake






Ingredients
150g butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup self-raising flour (or 1 cup plain flour + 2 tbsp baking soda)
1/2 cup raspberries
4 tbsp cocoa powder
1 handful hazelnuts, roughly chopped
1/2 cup milk

Method
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160c.

2. Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla and beat in eggs one at a time until combined.

3. Mix in flour and cocoa powder. Then add milk. When combined mix in hazelnuts and raspberries.

4. Pour into a cake tin and bake on 160c for approx. 50mins. It is recommended that you check the cake after 30mins, then every 15-10mins after that until baked.

No comments:

Post a Comment