Monday 13 July 2009

Pea Risotto and Thyme Chicken with Parsnip chips



Elements of the dish was inspired from Maggie Beer's Maggie's Harvest cookbook. It's not as complicated as it sounds either.

I bought some parsnips from the farmer's markets last week but being a novice at cooking parsnips had no idea. What is the best way to cook it? With what herbs? Best served with? I tried roasting but it made it bitter - perhaps I didn't roast it long enough? At the right temperature? Time? Reading about parsnip chips reminds me of sweet potato chips, served in many Sydney cafes, restaurants and pubs (I think the trend started several years ago).

To make parsnip chips I peel the skin and using the vegetable peeler made long strips of parsnip. I patted dry the parsnip strips and heated some oil in a small saucepan to about 185c. Remember to test a small piece in the oil. Fry in small batches until golden, drain on paper towels and sprinkle with plenty of salt. I think you can fry any root vegetables this way.

Pea risotto is just your normal risotto with peas, chicken stock, splash of white wine and a bit of parmesan.

Maggie used this marinade on rabbit but I had chicken. The chicken is marinaded in olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and thyme for 1 hour before browning the chicken in a pan, into a baking dish covered with foil and baked in a moderate oven. Double breast takes around 20mins. Covering with foil prevents the chicken from drying out. Don't forget to spoon some of the chicken juices into the risotto while cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment