Monday 20 July 2009

Pasta Disaster

So I attempted to make Maggie Beer’s Chestnut, mushroom and mascarpone ravioli. It was all going well, the filling was nice, the pasta was right, the raviolis might have been too big … but it was all fine and I gave myself a pat on the back for a good first attempt. Then disaster struck...

Since I wasn’t going to eat it until later that evening and it had cheese in it, I put it in a bowl and stuck it in the fridge for a few hours. After all I’ve dusted each ravioli to prevent it from sticking.

I started to get a pot of water going and looked at my bowl of ravioli. To my absolute horror the raviolis were all stuck together! After much cursing I managed to unstuck half the bowl and cooked those. Half of the salvaged raviolis had holes in them so the filling was floating all over the water. The remainder in the bowl had amalgamated into one giant ball of ravioli. As they would say on Masterchef “I came to a low point in my cooking career.” err, yes what career? haha.

But there was light at the end of the ravioli tunnel. I’ve managed to turn the ball of ravioli into …fettuccini! I had some filling left over and made it into a sauce, added some chicken and ta da … chestnut, mushroom and mascarpone fettuccini!


LHS: Mushrooms with sage. RHS: Chestnuts in chicken stock with thyme



Going well...



Still going well ...

****Disaster!****


Chestnut, mushroom and mascarpone fettuccini


No comments:

Post a Comment